Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Insanely Eventful Summer of 2008

So in eighth grade I started going to church and activities more and more. I remember one activity in particular, a stake activity, where I saw him again. I was amazed I still recognized him, but I did. We still didn't talk, but I still got butterflies in my stomach when I saw him. I felt pretty darn ridiculous.

A few weeks [maybe a month? my memory fails to remember exactly :P] later, I was standing in Lexis's kitchen "holding up the counter" [as the Hickens like to joke :P], when Scott, Lexis's dad, asked me if I was going on the trek in June. Trek? What the heck was that? It was that year's youth conference, which is a big stake activity that usually lasts overnight [this one lasted 3 days and 2 nights] and is always A LOT of fun. The trek was basically us dressing up in pio
neer outfits [girls with the long dresses, bloomers, long socks, and bonnets, boys with the pants, long sleeves, and some even had hats] and we had to pull hand carts that looked just like that picture [actually that is our cart :D] filled with our stuff, in the hot hot heat of the mountains in June. Of course, I don't think Scott actually told me all this. I think he pretty much said that it would be a fun activity and it lasts a few days and it'll be really fun, so I said yeah of course. :] But it was, of course, soo much fun. One of the best times I'd ever had. Also, he was there. :] Yes, pretty darn unbelievable how big of a crush I had on this kid STILL.

At the beginning of June, Autum and Fayth asked the missionaries [Elder Fuches and Elder Vargas] if they would come to the Hicken home to give me the lessons. I was a little nervous at first, especially since I hadn't talked to my mom about it AT ALL and I really hadn't thought about actually joining the church and being baptized, but I just went with the flow. My mom even came. I can't say I remember too much about that lesson, though. All i remember is that it was on the Atonement [at least, I'm pretty sure it was, I have an awful memory for little details :)] and I was a little confused.

After that lesson, we had TONS going on. We had the trek, and then Lexis was coming with us to my grandparents house in Maryland for 2 weeks. We had the BEST TIME EVER! Seriously, it was awesome :]

While we were in Maryland, we got a text from Leah saying that Elder Fuches was being transferred. I was sooo confused since I didn't know that missionaries move stakes and wards and cities and what not. I was kinda worried cause Elder Fuches was really cool and I was afraid we would get a missionary who was not as cool. But we still had Elder Vargas who was awesome! But, we got another AMAZING missionary, Elder 'Ofa. He was seriously the best missionary ever. :]

We came back and had another transfer and got another amazing missionary, Elder Choi. He was so cool! :] He taught us how to write our names in Korean!! And made us Korean Food! :D

We had more lessons and one night the missionaries asked my mom and I if we would be baptized. I knew everything I had been taught was true and I really had prayed about it and felt the spirit and I just knew that it was something I had to do. Especially since I so badly want to be sealed in the temple and go to the Celestial Kingdom and live with my family forever. However, my mom didn't decide to be baptized. She needed more time to think it over and pray. Everyone totally respected it. But inside, I was kind of sad. I love my mom so much and I wish she would have decided to be baptized with me so we could one day be sealed in the temple as a family and be together for all eternity, but it's her decision and I know it would be hard for her since my dad really had no desire to join the church or even sit in on the lessons. But I still love my mom with all my heart and I hope one day she does decide to be baptized. :]

Then was girls camp. I almost didn't go to girls camp because, that week for cheerleading, we were learning a routine which we would perform at the freshman assembly. I prayed about what to do and I know that it would be better for me to go to girls camp. Girls camp was also AMAZING!! It was seriously one of the best times I had ever had. :] It was one of the first times I had ever felt the spirit so strong. Especially at testimony meeting [thanks to Leah, of course, who always gets everyone crying :)]. It was a great week and it strengthened my testimony so much and I'm so glad I went and will never ever, and never did, regret going to girls camp over staying for cheer. [Especially because the routine was TOTALLY risque and gave the freshman squad such a bad rep. A totally blessing in so many ways that I went to girls camp :)]

The next few months that followed would be some of the best ever. :]


2 comments:

  1. Natalie. You are so dang cute. I hope you know how much I truly do love you and look up to you for always getting through the rough times and always choosing the right in the end. I think you are an amazing girl and I hope someday to attend your wedding in the temple. You'll always be like a sister to me. Love, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't girls camp just the best?! Everyone year at camp I felt like my spiritual batteries were fully charged. By the time I got home I was ready to take on the world! I'm so glad you went and had an awesome experience! I still miss girl's camp sometimes, lol

    ReplyDelete